How the journey began
Our day starts early, very early and picks up from Kuta at 2am.
It took about 2 hours to reach our starting point. If you climb Mount Batur you will not be alone, so don’t expect the moment “I am the only king of the world” once you reach the top.
If you want to be the first on the mountain, go early, at 1 am, but in this case, you have to wait for the sun to rise in the dark and this means COLD, so bring warm clothes and gloves.
Get a tour guide for mount batur sunrise trekking
- Should I get a guide? – In the Mount Batur car park we meet our guide and need to register. If you order with an agent, they will register for you, which is our case. Not sure if they let you ride without a guide – to avoid long discussions, we recommend just taking the guide and going with the flow.
- How much mount Batur sunrise trekking price? – The price for a trip is IDR 800,000 for 3 people (of course this varies, but this gives you an idea) and includes personal transfers, registration and guidance until 1:00 p.m.
We have a good level of fitness, but even if you are a person with average fitness, the first part of the climb will be easy. Our guide has a torch, but we still recommend bringing your own torch so as not to stumble in the dark.
- Ask questions – Our guide starts very quickly and takes the first break after only 20 minutes. Feel free to mention to the guide if you don’t need to rest (believe in us, the guide is very suitable and they need far less rest than you do) and ask questions about the terrain and everything you want to know.
Many guides like to share information, but may not be assertive enough, unless you ask questions and show interest.
How do you find a good tour guide?
- Order through a reputable agent (some hotels have a tour desk) and be careful with small road agents who drag you in. They appear very convincing and will surely tell you that their guide has made this trip many times before and that they are their own guides.
From our experience, we will say, small street agents are organized and reliable (drivers are always on time and very polite), but do not always believe if they tell you that they know the guide personally, because often they don’t and also rent them through a third party, so be careful.
- We recommend that you check Facebook, TripAdvisor and other social media platforms, because there is nothing better from word of mouth.
- Note also if the agency does not only sell tours without warning that it depends on weather conditions if the trip will continue.
How does it feel to climb Mount Batur
A sunny and beautiful night, we saw Lake Batur and admired the starry sky. Just breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the beautiful streets, listen to the silent whispers of the forest, making this trip worthwhile.
We have our own drinks in our backpacks, but if you don’t want to bring heavy drinks, you can buy drinks on the road, because there are caterers who carry backpacks with drinks on the mountain.
Once we arrived at the second part of the climb it was rather steep, we just walked slower and noticed where we put our feet.
The average fit person will reach a small platform, which has not reached its highest point, in about 1.5-2 hours. Many people wait for the sun to rise here, but we prefer to continue to the summit which takes 30 minutes along the steep sandy road and we would recommend it, because it is less crowded.
Mount Batur Sunrise trek is not a “secret” trip for those who know, it is very popular among nature lovers and of course Balinese can make a business from it, so you will find a shop above where you can get hot drinks (IDR 50,000 ), and fried bananas (delicious) when you wait for the sun to rise.
Get down from Mount Batur
We are still very amazed by the natural beauty that we don’t even mind that the offspring takes us a little longer, like 3 hours, because we walk around the crater first. Watch your steps, stones and sand can make the road go down a little slippery.
Tips from us how to prepare for your Mount Batur sunrise trip
- Footwear – Wear comfortable shoes with good grip. Especially for offspring you will appreciate if you have a good pair of trailers.
- Clothing – You will experience different temperature changes and we recommend that you wear clothes that you can use in layers and which are not too heavy. If you get sweat absorbing clothes that will be better, because when you start climbing you will sweat, but as soon as you sit at night to rest, it will get cooler and wear a sweaty t-shirt makes it hard to warm up again.
- Bring a torch – the head torch will be ideal (some guides provide it, so ask when you place an order).
- Bring a camera – it will be difficult not to make amazing images.
- Food – If you want to save on drinks and food, of course you can avoid stalls and people “ambulances” sell them, by bringing your own food, but if you prefer to lose weight while trekking, spend a little more on drink, buy it from the seller and keep your backpack light and save energy. Of course you can also ask a guide to bring your drinks and food, but in this case of course you are also expected to pay them small tokens.
- Tour guide – If you don’t want to direct yourself to the starting point and do your own registration, order through the agent, which we do. But be careful which agency you use. We are not happy with us, because they seem to have used guidance through third parties and therefore there is no guarantee for their professionalism. Ask for the guide’s name and experience.
If you need further technical guidance, we recommend that you set up a guide first and ask for what you need.
Read also another experience trek Hooker Valley Line in Aoraki / Mount Cook National Park in New Zealand